The FDA issued new guidelines for sunscreen products to help clear any confusion and prevent manufacturers from making false claims. Here is a summary of the new guidelines:
- The FDA now requires the sunscreen products to clearly state if they protect against UVA rays in addition to UVB rays. As you know, the SPF number on the sunscreen only indicates the level of protection against UVB rays. If the sunscreen protects against both UVA and UVB rays, you will see the label “Broad Spectrum SPF” on the product along with the SPF number.
Read more about UVA, UVB, SPF and sunscreen basics
- Only Broad spectrum SPF 15 sunscreen products and higher can claim to reduce the risk of skin cancer and the premature aging.
- Products that are not Broad spectrum or have an SPF less than 15 should have a label warning that the product has NOT been shown to help prevent skin cancer or early skin aging
- Non-Broad spectrum sunscreens or broadspectrum sunscreens with SPF less than 15 can only claim to help prevent sunburn.
- The terms “water proof”, “sweat proof”, “sun block” may not be used anymore.
- Sunscreens can be “water resistant”, but must indicate whether the product must be reapplied after 40 minutes or 80 minutes while swimming or sweating.
- The FDA also proposed that the SPF number be capped at 50, because products with SPF higher than 50 have not shown to have better protection.
If you must be out in the sun, be sure to use a Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 15 or higher (preferably SP 30 or more) and reapply the sunscreen at least every 2 hours.
At Pristine Laser Center, our goal is to educate and assist our clients in looking their best. If you would like to make an appointment, call 407-494-0404.
Pristine Laser Center in Orlando offers tattoo removal, laser hair removal, laser vein removal, laser skin rejuvenation, acne scar treatment, laser skin resurfacing, age spot/ sun spot removal, laser treatment of vascular lesions and much more.
Laser Tattoo Removal
Laser Permanent Make-Up Removal
Laser Hair Removal
Laser Pigmented Lesions Removal
Laser Vascular Lesions Removal
Laser Treatments for Fine Lines & Wrinkles
Laser CO2 Skin Resurfacing
Laser Acne Treatments
By Appointment Only
Monday - 9:00am to 5:00pm
Tuesday - 9:00am to 5:00pm
Wednesday - 9:00am to 5:00pm
Thursday - 9:00am to 5:00pm
Friday - 9:00am to 1:00pm
Saturday - Check Here for Dates
We Accept Cash, Major Credit and Debit Cards
Copyright Pristine Laser Center 2010-2021
All Rights Reserved